Lending Compliance Manager
The Compliance Department is seeking a talented and experienced individual for the position of Lending Compliance Manager or Analyst (depending on experience).
Under the direction of the Chief Compliance Officer, this position will develop, implement, enhance and maintain a comprehensive lending compliance program to promote Company adherence to internal compliance-related procedures and processes and existing, new or revised statutory and regulatory requirements.
This position is responsible to assist with the assessment of risks associated with all laws, regulations, and regulatory rules applicable across the lending life cycle and to ensure appropriate and sufficient controls are in place to mitigate those risks.
Specific areas of operational focus include: applicant sourcing, application processing and underwriting, funding, account servicing, collections, and asset recovery. Areas of regulatory focus include, but are not limited to, ECOA, UDAAP, TILA, FCRA, FDCPA, MLA/SCRA, TCPA, GLBA, EFTA, ESIGN, Flood, CRA, HMDA and other lending-related federal and state laws and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of the Company’s Compliance Management System. Ensure that policies, procedures and programs comply with applicable regulatory requirements and mitigate risk of non-compliance.
- Assist with the assessment of all regulatory risks related to lending, including identifying gaps in controls, highlighting areas of highest risk, and developing appropriate risk mitigation strategies.
- Serve as a compliance subject matter expert to branch offices and the Company on lending compliance and related issues.
- Work with business leaders and management to socialize lending operations compliance principles and practices and assist with developing procedures, systems, and processes to execute policy requirements (i.e., lending compliance advisory).
- Provide direct compliance advisory support to various business functions and/or branch offices in the application of business processes to promote compliance with internal lending requirements as well as lending laws, regulations, and best practices. Field inquiries, interpret questions posed to the Department, research, and provide appropriate and timely guidance and assistance.
- Make effective recommendations to mitigate compliance risk. Serve as a subject matter expert, as necessary, on compliance-related matters as projects and initiatives are introduced, implemented and revised.
- Assist with the development of regulation-based training and targeted role-based training covering the laws, regulations, and policy requirements related to lending operations.
- Establish testing and monitoring protocols to assess and measure operations compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and identify defects and deficiencies requiring corrective action.
- Ensure material compliance issues identified by any means and through any source related to lending operations are recorded, tracked, and reported to ensure their appropriate and timely resolution.
- Respond to internal and external compliance review, audit and exam recommendations. Work with teammates to help identify the most appropriate solutions, assist with implementation of solutions, and track resolution through to closure.
- Coordinate regulatory change management by identifying new or changes to laws, regulations, and regulatory guidance related to lending operations compliance and work with business management to operationalize requirements.
- Monitor and analyze developing trends and changes in applicable laws and regulations, and advise management of the operational impact. Facilitate and/or lead implementation of regulatory changes by assisting the business lines with the control design and implementation and/or performing detailed transaction testing prior to the regulatory change date to ensure that the controls put in place by the business lines are appropriate and fully compliant.
- Liaise with examiners and auditors on reviews of the company’s efforts to comply with regulatory requirements related to lending operations.
- Prepare, deliver, and effectively communicate analysis and reporting regarding lending operations compliance to oversight committees and management.
- Move across function lines within the Compliance Department to assist team members with other compliance-related responsibilities, including for example fair lending, community reinvestment, BSA/AML, issues management, policy and procedure development, and third-party compliance oversight.
- May assist with the following:
-Editing and filing the HMDA LAR
-Reviewing flood determinations and appraisals and advising on flood insurance
-Monitoring the resolution of credit bureau disputes via the ACDV / AUD functions in e-OSCAR
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
May directly supervise employees in the compliance department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, statistics, economics or related field.
- Ideal candidate will have at least six (6) years related experience in the consumer compliance, risk management, process improvement, audit or the legal field related to commercial lending, consumer lending or another highly regulated field relating to financial services.
- Two or more years of direct experience in lending compliance with a focus on consumer or commercial credit.
- Strong working knowledge of consumer protection laws and regulations and associated risks, and the internal controls needed to mitigate those risks.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to influence decisions and drive change.
- Self-starter with ability to think independently, take ownership, and drive initiatives to resolution.
- Solid analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and rapid changes.
- Professional certifications(s) such as Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM) or completion of specialized training in compliance or applicable certifications (e.g., ABA Graduate School of Compliance Risk Management, Commissioned Federal Bank Examiner, etc).
- A Master’s degree, Juris Doctorate (JD), or other advanced degree.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually very quiet.
Bank of the Sierra is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.